Welcome to the Kingdoms of Ahln
Kingdoms of Ahln is a MUD which is being developed from scratch.
If you wish to know the up-to-date status of the project, please see the status page, which will show you the latest code changes and whether or not the server is running at the moment.
Click here to start playing.
If you would like to browse the help files from the game, you can do that from the help page.
If you are interested in stealing my code and running your own server, you may do so.
These are a few ideas which are guiding the development of the game and game engine.
- The game should be as interactive as possible.
- This means interaction between players, creatures/mobiles, and the world itself. The world should be filled with as many objects as possible, allowing users to interact with it in a natural manner. If a room claims to have chairs and paintings, the player should expect to be able to sit down in one of the chairs and inspect a painting or two.
- Lots of verbs for actions with actual consequences (not just emotes).
- The game should be fun even when playing alone.
- Clearly, as a MUD, much of the game is about interacting with other people. However, there should be enough depth and challenge to the world itself to allow players to enjoy themselves even when off questing, hunting, or exploring by themselves.
- Have lots of player generated but moderated in-game creations.
- This means as many items as possible should be player-created. Weapons and armor can be forged, clothes sewn, potions mixed, and other items crafted as necessary. As little as possible should be available from mobile-run stores.
- Additionally, it should be possible to let players apply for ‘build permits,’ which would allow them to build their own houses, all the way up to building their own towns (of which they would be mayor).